Tuesday, January 20, 2015

R.I.P. Uncle B's Drive-in

Uncle B’s Drive-in Fiction is, like so many drive-in venues, closed for good. No longer in print. I’ve done what I can to keep this problem child alive and nothing seems to help. I believe it suffered the same fate as the Grindhouse movie from a few years back. Too much for one volume. I sent copies to reviewers who thanked me kindly and then never reviewed the book. Even if they hated it, they could have said so. I suspect that reading the entire thing was a daunting task and most of them said ‘fuck it,’ threw it in the garbage, and moved on.

And what a shame that nobody gave this book a chance. Matt Funk’s contribution won an award. David James Keaton’s contribution eventually morphed into The Last Projector. It also had ace stories from Garnett Elliott and Jimmy Callaway.


I supposed the lesson learned is, don’t weigh down a reader with too much at once. If I had to do it all over again, I’d easily limit the stories to between 5000 and 10,000 words and maybe cut the number of writers down to three. Oh well. You can get copies of the book for dirt cheap at Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment