Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Rock and Roll Flash Fiction Contest

Copper Smith sent me this message:

Hello!


I'd like to invite you to partake of my flash fiction challenge: Going out like Elvis – dead rock star noir!
Here's a sample to get you going: Nothing to kill or die for.


You get the idea: spin a suspenseful tale in which you save your favorite dead rock/rap/reggae/country/jazz star from certain death…

Or you avenge their murder…

Or maybe solve a rock star mystery (who killed Tupac? Is Elvis really dead? Is Keith Richards really alive? Did video really kill the radio star?).

Lots of possibilities: a zombified Elvis, an avenged Marvin Gaye – or just craft a nifty noir-ish tale out of a song by your favorite dead rock star.

It's up to you. Just make it pulp-y and noir-y and make it revolve around a dead rock star. Also make it under 2000 words. Just don't make it about a hit man targeting Mark David Chapman before he can get to John Lennon because I've already gone there.

I'll have my readers vote and the winning story gets immortalized in mp3 format by the Uppercut Avenue players, kind of like this or this.

The deadline is June 1st – so get to work!

Let me know if you're on board and feel free to share the news!

Thanks,

Copper

I'm still working on mine.  Looking forward to seeing what other folks come up with.



Photo courtesy of theelvisisalivemuseumonline

2 comments:

  1. Another terrific idea. I'm afraid I'm tapped at the moment but I will enjoy watching what other folks come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I'm going to be able to do one either.

    ReplyDelete