Saturday, May 21, 2011

Mr. Cizak at Beat to a Pulp

I consider Beat to a Pulp the gold standard for pulp fiction sites on the Internet.  It's the only site that ever had an editor call me and tell me how to improve my writing.  David Cranmer and Elaine Ash are responsible for the hands-down coolest goddamn anthology of the last few years.  Being published at BTAP is an honor.  This week, my story Katy Too appears at BTAP.  It's pure pulp fiction.  Based on a story an old (and now, unfortunately, dead) Irish-American gangster told me (among many others I believe he expected me to put on paper).  In addition, David Cranmer wrote a hell of an intro for me at his blog The Education of a Pulp Writer.  Thanks to Mr. Cranmer and thanks to anyone who takes the time to read the story.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the kind words, Alec.

    I'm looking at your story links (posted to the right) and thinking you really have a powerful short story collection waiting in the wings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem, David.

    I figure a few more years and I'll have a good selection of stories to choose from for an anthology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just finished reading it, Alec. Brilliant stuff written from just the right viewpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course my laptop battery dies right after I write a long comment for you! I'll try again. Basically, I loved this story. I think my fav at BtaP this year so far. I read it a few times over trying to figure out what it was that I liked so much about it, especially considering it wasn't a very pretty story. I decided it was the raw honesty and your story telling style. I was shocked when you wrote to the other person on FB that it was based on a true tale. WOAH! It all makes sense now. Your other story from earlier this year "A Moral Majority" made a big impression on me too. Your passion for the art shows. Looking forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Garnett and Jodi, thanks. You are both writers I have tremendous respect for, so it's a hell of an honor to hear (read) your kind words.

    ReplyDelete