Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I torch The Burning at Let's Kill Everybody!

This is the first review I wrote for Jimmy Callaway's series of blogs dealing with exploitation movies.  I think it's a little choppy and there's at least one place where I wrote a sentence that flat out doesn't make sense.  I wrote the review over winter break when the OCD got me hooked on watching early 80s slashers.  People love The Burning and I'm sure will hate me for pointing out what I think is obvious-- It's a terrible movie and a terrible attempt by the Weinstein Bros. to deconstruct a genre right at the height of its popularity.  With the benefit of time, I have decided I do not like The Prowler nearly as much as I did back in December.  I rewatched it and realized it gets repetitive.  The only impressive thing about it are the first three kills, which display some of Tom Savini's finest work.  Upon seeing the footage that was cut from the original My Bloody Valentine (nine friggin' minutes!), I've decided the only slasher to come close to Friday the 13th or the godfather of slashers, Halloween, was, in fact, My Bloody Valentine.  It wasn't quite as scary, but the atmosphere was great, the gore was fantastic and the blue-collar setting separated it from all the other Halloween imitations.  The painful truth is, the slasher genre was nothing more than people trying to cash in on the success of Halloween.  What none of the producers of the subsequent films understood was that Halloween worked due to suspenseThe Prowler has moments that are suspenseful, but the sloppy plot construction takes away any power that suspense might have had.  I think it's time to applaud John Carpenter for being the only member of the New Hollywood generation who could ever have replaced Alfred Hitchcock.  Anyway, read the review if you like and leave a comment, even if you think I'm full of shit.

Photo courtesy of buckthereom.blogspot.com

6 comments:

  1. All your sentences seemed to make sense to me. Then again, I often pinwheel monkeywrench chickenfoot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I read it again. I must have been hallucinating. Happens all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alec, I actually loved this movie when it came out. It made me a lot of money in high school after it got banned in the UK. I had a copy and used to hire it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen this movie before, but enjoyed your review. And I agree about what you say what made Halloween was the suspense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. David B.-- That must have been durng the "video nasties" period. You're not alone in liking The Burning, there's a whole cult following. Some time this summer I'm going to watch the film again and see what I think.

    Jodi -- Yes. Halloween still stands above its imitators and interestingly enough, it was made for significantly less money. I don't think any other film in the modern age has been imitated by so many.

    ReplyDelete