Tuesday, January 25, 2011

When Comic Books Ruled

David Cranmer's post about the Sub-Mariner over at his blog has got me all nostalgic for the early 80s, yet again.  I think it's definitely a sign of getting old.  I'm sure people who were adults during that time remember it much differently.  I remember delivering newspapers in the afternoon on Hampton Drive.  Collecting on Saturdays (one dollar per customer, per week) and taking my money to the Comic Carnival in Broad Ripple at least twice a month and loading up on comics.  They were still 50 and 60 cents then and a kid could afford a solid habit.  Frank Miller and Alan Moore were just getting started.  Popular culture in those days was all about fun.  You didn't have to sit through lectures on how to be a polite person, disguised as entertainment... Jesus, I miss those days...

2 comments:

  1. Amen, brother.

    And I had (maybe still do) that cover of No More Mister Nice Guy. Where the hell is my collection anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, David. I keep my collection close because it's the only thing of value I have (and thanks to E-Bay and the CGC people it's not nearly as valuable as it should be).

    ReplyDelete