Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Christmas! More Slashing!

So I watched Black Christmas last night.  This movie is credited as being one of the main influences on the entire slasher genre, including Halloween.  I can somewhat see that, though there are many crucial elements missing.  Most importantly, there were no boobs!  What kind of exploitation movie doesn't have nudity?  It was directed by Bob Clark, who also directed the modern equivalent of It's a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Story (my younger siblings are sick of A Christmas Story the same way I got sick of It's a Wonderful Life when I was a kid).  Black Christmas has one of the first instances I've seen of the "the calls are coming from inside the house!" gag.  It's also got some surreal shit going on with the corpse in the attic in the rocking chair. The creepiest thing in the movie is the voice of the killer on the phone.  In the end, I'm not even sure it's made clear who the killer actually is.

Tonight, the holiday spirit continues with a notorious groaner, New Year's Evil.  I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment