Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I cheated a bit

I had to get the bad vibes of The Burning out of my system, so I watched a pair of slasher/stalker pictures today (I'm on vacation, in case anybody wonders how the hell I suddenly have so much free time).  I sort of cheated as I made a deal with myself that I would watch one picture a night after getting my writing done.  Oh well.  I'm on vacation, I'm gonna take some liberties.

First, I checked out The House on Sorority Row, which is from 1982 but already looks much slicker than the core group of slashers from 1980 and 81.  It has some decent qualities to it, most importantly a good sense of humor.  The clown gag at the end of the movie was great, even if I could see it coming from a mile away.  And what of that music box theme played throughout the film, was that a tribute to For a Few Dollars More?  John Carpenter always said Halloween is just a western in disguise.  Does that make all slashers, by extension, westerns in disguise?

After reading a review over at Let's Kill Everybody I decided to finally take a look at The Toolbox Murders, a movie that pre-dates the slasher craze.  Very, very strange movie.  I once had lunch with one of the writers of the movie and she was a nice old lady.  I don't know where the hell she got the idea to write this picture.  It's not quite a slasher film as it doesn't have the required ingredients or the plot structure inherent to the genre.  It's weird though.  Very, very weird.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. Ironically, I wtched Pumpkin Head the other night. It was better than I remembered. The girl shoots the guy in the end, and I was thinking ...huh, must have been made after The Shining. ;-) I watched Death Becomes Her tonight. Who can't love that movie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever seen Death Becomes Her all the way through. I'll have to catch that one (I'm using my brother's Netflix account to watch these slasher films on my computer as I prepare to write my 'big article' where I am going to debunk feminist and psychoanalytic criticisms of the slasher genre and propose that a mix of Cultural Darwinism and Marxist theory replace them. I think graduate school is having an adverse effect on me...) If Death Becomes Her is available for streaming, I'll watch it while I still have access to my brother's account.

    ReplyDelete