Friday, December 31, 2010

Here's to a productive new year!

So my multiple personalities as a writer are going to be put to the ultimate test in the next few months.  Here's all the stuff I have to accomplish:

1. My thesis is a collection of short stories.  I'm doing the John Barth thing without being so damn self-conscious.  In other words, the stories will combine to create a "kunstlerroman" about my wild years between 1988 and 1999, covering my years as an unsober asshole, my few years as a sober, blue-collar asshole, right up until I wrote Mr. Id, which became my first motion picture and somehow managed to thrust me even deeper into poverty (but that will all be covered in the next batch of "literary" fiction where I will write about all the assholes I had to deal with in Chicago and Hollywood).  The thesis has to be finished by February so that two professors may read it and sign off on it (it's not science or math, you know, anything really useful, so I don't think I have to 'defend' it).

2. I am writing a screenplay for a horror film I hope to shoot as soon as the semester is over (yes, I am going to finish my Master's while prepping a feature film.  If that doesn't give me an ulcer, I don't know what will).  It's been a while since I've written a script, but they're so easy I sometimes wonder if screenwriting is just writing for the lazy.

3. I would still like to write a novel.  I keep starting them and losing interest (speaking of laziness).  I just have a difficult time believing a novel isn't anything but a short story with 50 to 60 thousand words of extraneous information that isn't crucial to the plot.

4. And, of course, the one thing I actually enjoy doing, I will continue working on crime and horror short stories that will continue to make me no money.  I am in the revision process on one of the stories an old Irish gangster I knew from Chicago told me just before he died of cancer (he told me a lot of stories and I am trying, over the years, to get them on paper as I realize the only reason he told me these things was because he knew I was a writer).  And I am in the midst of writing a story about a small town preacher and a couple of the women he sees outside of his marriage.

Oh yeah, I am also trying to craft a film theory paper using Cultural Darwinism to re-examine the slasher genre.

And I still can't figure out why I have headaches every day...

Anyway, Happy New Year to those who read this blog and may this next year be productive.

3 comments:

  1. Those are some top goals, AC. I think a collection of your short stories would be well received.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers to creativity and ambition! Do what moves yuo and forget abuot the rest! Looking forward to those shorts, mister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. Sorry it took me so long to respond.

    ReplyDelete