Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Dangers of Sobriety

I won't go into it, but many years ago, I was never sober.  Then, I was sober.  I gotta say, sobering up was the biggest mistake I ever made. 

When you're consistently unsober, life is always interesting. You can be sitting in on an insurance seminar with a bunch of boring as all holy fuck insurance people and pop a pill or grab some swigs from a flask in the bathroom and, boom!, suddenly the most boring fucks on the planet become interesting. 

As for things that are actually interesting, experiencing them under the influence makes them unforgettable (until you sober up and can't remember anything you did between 1988 and 1997...)  Once you sober up, everything becomes even.  The roller coaster an unsober persons sends the nerves on comes to a screeching halt and life plays like a boring piano riff repeated over and over.

Sometimes I wonder what legacy I can leave as a failed filmmaker and unknown writer.  If I had to choose, I would pass on these words of wisdom to the youth of the future:

Once you start down the road of chemical bliss, don't turn around until it runs you into the grave.  You'll spend the rest of your life in sorrow if you stop before fate decides to stop you...

No comments:

Post a Comment