Monday, May 24, 2010

Some stuff I read elsewhere

If you're in the mood for a really amoral story, try Michael Hemmingson's "I Paid the Whore," over at Beat to a Pulp.  You can tell from the title that the ladies on "The View" won't be asking Mr. Hemmingson on for a schmooze session any time soon.

For those of you who are slightly more sensitive, you might try Nancy Sweetland's "The Hit Man," which can be found at A Twist of Noir.  Sweetland draws us a picture of a 21st Century hit man who kills with a conscience.

If you read and enjoy either of these stories, make sure you leave comments for the author to let him and her know you appreciated the work.

2 comments:

  1. Michael dropped off a terrific story at BTAP and the link here is much appreciated.

    (Btw, deep down, I bet Baba Wawa would get a kick out it)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not knocking Michael's candid language at all, trust me. I can't stand how hyper-sensitive Americans have gotten. The daytime talkshows, of which "The View" is an example, enable the corrosion of our collective spine by getting "offended" by any and everything. It's dangerous to the freedom of speech. I'm not even talking Constitution here, I'm talking about the needs of writers to be able to write about the world as they see it without worrying about someone crying out "I'm offended!"

    ReplyDelete